We Are Newark, We Recycle! Make sure you’re doing your part to keep Newark clean and healthy.
Schedules and Pick Up: Click here to see schedules and more information on garbage and recycling pick up in your area.
No pick up of garbage, recycling, bulk, and yard waste on the following municipal holidays: New Years Day, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Lincoln’s Birthday, Washington’s Birthday, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Election Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day
Recycling Do’s and Dont’s:
- DO bundle and tie overflow of newspapers, mixed papers, and cardboard together and place bundles neatly in designated areas or in clear plastic bags
- DO call your Management Office or the City of Newark’s Recycling Office (973-733-4311) with questions or concerns
- DON’T recycle drinking glasses, window glass, auto glass, mirrors, Pyrex, ceramic cups and plates, clay bottles or flower pots, toys, light bulbs, pots and pans, ovenware, foil products and styrofoam – these items must go in the trash
- DON’T mix trash with your recyclables – contaminated items will be rejected
- DON’T place household hazardous waste, such as motor oil, antifreeze, transmission and brake fluid, kerosene, oil based paints, paint thinner, stains, varnishes, herbicides, pesticides, oven cleaner, mercury thermometers, household batteries or auto batteries in your trash. These items should be recycled at the Essex County Utilities Authority (973-792-9060)
- DON’T place e-waste (electronic waste) in curbside recycling – it is neither curbside recycling or bulk. Please call (973-733-6685)
What to Recycle:
Mixed Paper & Cardboard – Newspapers and mixed papers must be tied with string in bundles no more than 12 inches high; place items in clear plastic bags in designated collection area. Corrugated cardboard boxes must be flattened, bundled, and tied.
- milk & juice cartons
- cardboard boxes and egg cartons
- corrugated cardboard
- file folders
- hard cover books (with covers removed)
- magazines & catalogs
- newspapers, telephone books
- paper, envelopes (loose)
- paper bags
- empty pizza boxes
- shredded paper (place in clear plastic bag)
- soft cover books
- writing pads
Bottles, Cans, Metal, Foil & Plastic – Rinse all containers clean of food or beverage residue. Place in recycling container labeled with blue “bottles, cans, metal, foil, and plastic” sticker or place in clear plastic bags in designated collection areas.
- empty aerosol cans
- aluminum (soda) cans
- aluminum foil and trays
- glass bottles and jars
- metal cans
- plastic bottles and jugs
- wire hangers
- All recyclable plastic items marked with numbers 1-7 on bottom of packaging.
To arrange pick up of large appliances such as refrigerators, freezers, washing machines, dryers, hot water heaters, stoves, etc., please call (973) 733-6685.
Inspections: Recycling programs for multi-family buildings are routinely inspected by Code Enforcement Officers to determine compliance with the city’s recycling programs. Violators are subject to a warning notice, followed by penalty assessments if the violations are not corrected.